Friday, October 26, 2007

Reason No. 348 why I love Boston:

Tonight on the T, as Erin and I were returning from the production of Figaro scenes mounted by the Boston Opera Collaborative, we encountered some of the most unusual personages on our local subway line. Among them: A skanky Little Red Ridinghood (one must wonder what it was she was planning on riding this evening), Quail Man (MAN MAN man man man), Peyton Manning, a credible impersonation of James Bond (although he just reminded me of Chamber Singers tour), and a very loquacious Flasher. Erin and I sort of rolled our eyes and discussed what a perilous public health hazard it would be if Gambier residents had to take the T to get to Shock yer Mama. And as the kids witlessly extolled the virtues of Jaegerbombs, each other, the Red Sox, each other, and Jaegerbombs, I must confess I took a trip down Stereotype Lane and pegged them merely as lucky, directionless, Booze Majors.

Until I heard the Flasher ask his friend who may or may not have been attempting to portray K. Fed which section of Ear Training he was in, and, furthermore, what said section's opinion of the Movable Do vs. Fixed Do controversy was? Which modes had they covered so far? The Flasher was a music major it seemed, and could probably give me a run for my money on your basic Music 121-122 test.

Here's to you, Flasher, for you are positively Myxolydian.

The evening of scenes, in general, was sort of pleasantly blanketed by random encounters, whether they were verbal or not, with new Boston music acquaintances. From the Susanna in the Mozart scenes, who is also the artistic chair at BOC and the person with whom I have a meeting on Sunday, to a friend of Colin's who is apparently an excellent pianist and coach at BoCo, to a tenor whom I met at my failed audition for The Cantata Singers but was nice enough to make conversation with me, to the audience of other people who felt like spending two and a half hours listening. Everybody was young and everybody loved opera. It was pretty cool.



No comments: